Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Welcome to the Faithful Agnostic!


 
Defining a faithful agnostic:

The term used here means there is much I do not know and much I cannot prove, but that hasn’t stopped me from trying.  Let me be clear:  I do not agree with the ardent agnostic who believes that existence of God can never be known.  If one can use the term God, one has at least an idea of God.  As an idea, God exists. That much we all know. I would agree that belief in the existence of a being called God is likely to remain unproven.  I claim to be an agnostic in the sense that the more I know, the more I know that I do not know. Its a confession more than a stance.  I’m a faithful agnostic in that I will try to faithfully pursue knowledge and that mercurial thing called Truth.

About me: 
I'm a 62 year old retiree who has a lot of time to read, study, and think.  I’m a member of a mainline Christian denomination and  have been all my life.  I have struggled with issues created by Christian doctrines, dogmas, and beliefs for most of my adult life. Nevertheless,  I’m fascinated by Christianity, by religion as a whole; the hold it has on people, how is shapes human events and culture, and the interest it instills in me. 

My Intentions:
It is my intent to faithfully ponder questions regarding religion and Christianity in particular.  I make no claim of being an authority on any of the topics I will post.  They are simply my thoughts that have evolved from reading what others have written or from discussions I have had with individuals over the years.  I am grateful to all who have stirred my mind.  Thoughts, being what they are, are subject to change.  Future posts will share thoughts on such topics as “Concepts and Contexts,” “Intuition,” “Transcendence,” “Belief,”  “Fact,” Faith,”  “Christianity,”  “Jesus,” and much more.  Until then, stay faithful.

2 comments:

  1. Truth is mercurial? I agree it is mutable but then what is truth?could the only truth be that there is no truth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps the choice of "mercurial" is a bit confusing. In the sense it is used here is in reference to the element, not the ancient Roman god. Like the liquid state of mercury, if a bead would fall to floor and one tried to pick it up, the likelihood would be that it would fragment into smaller beads. Religions are a prime example of this metaphor. For example, I have read where Christianity, alone, has over 30,000 denominations. Every major religion or belief system eventually is subject to this type of fragmentation.

      As to there being no truth, perhaps not in any factual sense, but the concept exists. Such concepts interest me. Where did they come from?

      Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

      Delete